How to Use Up Stale Bread to Make a Delicious Traditional English Pudding Which is Normally Eaten With Custard
I used to run a restaurant, specializing in good traditional English food. There was always a lot of food waste, but we were also adept at using up food that was a little stale but still edible, to make very popular dishes. Bread-and-Butter Pudding is one such dish.
Bread and butter pudding is very cheap to make, using only a few slices of stale bread, spread lightly with butter or butter substitute, and a scattering of dried fruit, soaked in milk. This is a very suitable recipe for a beginner, as well as more seasoned cooks, and requires very little skill or time – a real quick and easy recipe. Even quite young children could make bread and butter pudding.
Equipment for Making Bread and Butter Pudding
- Medium sized Baking Dish – this can be glass, metal or tinfoil
- Small Saucepan
- Bread Board or Cutting Board
- Dessert Spoon
Life is Much Easier if you Have the Right Equipment for Making Bread and Butter Pudding – Here is a very useful set of dishes from Amazon:
You can buy single dishes, but having a set of various sized dishes means you never have to worry about whether you have the right sized dish in your cupboard
- 3 slices of bread (preferably thick slices)
- Butter or butter substitute
- 3/4 pint of milk or 1/2 pint of milk and 1/4 of water
- A handful of raisins, currants or sultanas
- 1 dessertspoon of sugar
- Optional: Aromatic spice such as 1 clove a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg
- Warm the milk in a saucepan;
- Whilst it is warming, butter the bread slices;
- Cut the bread into cubes about 1 inches square;
- Layer about half the bread cubes in a medium sized baking dish (this can be glass, metal or tinfoil) so that they are slightly leaning against each other, and not flat on the bottom of the dish;
- Sprinkle about half the dried fruit evenly over the bread;
- Add another layer of bread and sprinkle it with the rest of the dried fruit;
- Pour the hot milk (or mixture of milk and water) over the bread;
- Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the top and add the spice;
- Cook in a preheated oven on a medium heat for twenty minutes. The top should be lightly browned. If not, cook it for a few minutes longer;
- Serve hot, with custard.
Bird’s Custard Powder – You can even get custard powder on Amazon
It has a lovely smooth texture, and is the custard powder I have used all my life. I was very pleased to see that you can buy it in America as well as in the UK!
Bird’s custard powder is the one I always use, although there are other brands of custard powder on the market.
Bulk cooking is a Great Time-Saver:
Whilst you are making this bread and butter pudding, why not make an extra pudding and keep it for another day?
How Often do You Eat Pudding or Dessert? – Take This Poll and See How Many People Share Your Views
Some people have a sweet tooth and want to eat a pudding every day. Others just have pudding as a treat. And some, amazingly, never have pudding – that’s really Sad!