This is a traditional Dumpling recipe, very easy to make,
suitable for beginners
Dumplings, also known as kneidlach, add another dimension to soup, and are a delicious alternative to croutons.
Dumplings Cooking in Soup
Preparation – 5 -10 Minutes, Standing – 20-30 Minutes, Cooking – 20-25 Minutes
- 1 Cup of Matzo Meal
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil or Chicken Fat
- ¼ Cup of Water
- Pepper and Salt
- Optional flavourings: Cinnamon, Chopped Fried Onion
- Beat the eggs well until they have fluffed up
- Add all the other ingredients and stir them all in to make a stiff batter – stir them well to aerate them, as this is what causes them to fluff up
- Let the mixture stand, preferably refrigerated, for 20-30 minutes – this makes it easier to shape the dumplings.
- Then roll them into balls about the size of a golf ball. Wetting your hands before you start will prevent them sticking
- Add them to the Soup or Stew and cook for 20-25 minutes with a lid on the pot. As they will absorb some of the liquid, you may need to add a cup of water to the pot.